I have discovered a really tasty way of using up some of our courgette glut!
These healthy muffins contain very little fat or calories, thanks to the secret ingredient which acts in place of butter: grated courgette. Thanks to the rice flour and almonds, they are also wheat and gluten free.
You will need:
* Muffin tray (and cases if you prefer)
* 160g rice flour
* 180g ground almonds
* 2 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
* 60g poppy seeds
* 3 medium free-range eggs
* 160g fruit sugar
* 250 g grated courgette
* Zest of 3 and juice of 2 large lemons
* 100ml buttermilk
* 150g blueberries
* Pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 200c and line the muffin tray with cases. Combine dry ingredients (flour, almonds, baking powder, bicarb, salt and poppy seeds) in a bowl and set aside.
2. In another bowl whisk the eggs and sugar until a light creamy colour and consistency; then add the courgette, lemon zest and juice, blueberries and buttermilk.
3. Quickly stir the dry mixture into the wet and fold lightly, so as to keep as much air in as possible.
4. Spoon the mixture evenly into the muffin cases and cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool thoroughly (they tend to stick to the muffin cases if they haven't cooled properly) before enjoying with a steaming cup of tea. Delicious for breakfast!