The meandering thoughts of a modern-day hearth witch.


Tuesday 8 June 2010

Tarot Tantilization

I am seeking guidance.

As someone who has spent a lot of time reading about tarot and speaking with friends who are tarot readers, but hasn't yet purchased a deck of my own, I am looking for a little help. 

Many of the more traditional decks I have seen have not wholly appealed to me. The Rider-Waite for example does not seem to capture my imagination. 

However, since reading so many of your wonderful blogs about the subject, I have discovered two decks which I find stunningly beautiful and whose images seem to make a lot of sense to me. 

The Shadowscapes Tarot by Stephanie Pui-Mun Law


The Deviant Moon Tarot by Patrick Valenza



I was hoping that some of you kind people who have a bit more expertise than me could offer me some additional wisdom. Would you recommend either of these decks? What are the strengths of each? Do you have a preference between the two and, if so, can you explain why? 

If I can't make a decision soon I'll just have to buy both!

Blessings and thanks. 

5 musings:

Suzi Smith said...

Mmm.. i've been in a similar state... wanting but not finding the 'right' set. These both look lovely. Why not try dowsing to see if either/neither/or both(!) are for you? Good to see you stop by over at mine!

brandi said...

~i would go for the one that you fell drawn too...the one you feel most connected too...i found paulina cassidys and adore it...her intricate picture yet simple to follow...i also have "tarot wisdom" by rachel pollack's and i has been a useful guide along the way...which ever you chose or both with be the right decision...they are both l♥vely...warm wishes and brightest blessings~

Amy said...

An interesting idea Suzi - I may try that.

Thanks Faerwillow - I have a couple of good tarot guides but I will look up Rachel Pollack's too.

Blessings both! x

Little Messy Missy said...

I have been reading them for the last 14 or so years. I made my own, you can even use playing cards. Beside my homemade deck I own 3 purchased decks. Just make sure to carry them around with you for awhile so they really can become yours! Any deck of cards will work you just have to like what you get.

Amy said...

Thanks for the advice Missy - yeah I used to read playing cards when I was just a little girl! I'd love to make my own deck some day - that's a lovely idea.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I truly love to hear your contributions.

Related Posts with Thumbnailslinkwithin_text='From the same cauldron...'