The meandering thoughts of a modern-day hearth witch.


Thursday 23 August 2012

Hearth and Home // Changes

Hello dear faithful readers...assuming that is, that I have any readers left!

My absence from Hearthwitch Cottage can, in part, be explained by the fact that B and I have recently moved house and there has been much change and upheaval in recent months. 

Once we had made the decision to move, to a flat in Bath, to be nearer friends and a bit more bustle - as well as practical things like a train station - an acquaintance of mine said: 'But how will you carry on writing your blog, in the city?' I think he was meaning that so much of what I write about is inspired by a life outdoors, in the countryside and at our allotment. 

I have been pondering this a lot over the past few weeks. One thing I will need to get my head round is the idea of being a practising pagan in the city again. I have done this before and, although it is not as easy as when you have lots of outdoor space at your fingertips, it is by no means impossible. Hearthwitch Cottage is a metaphorical place - a symbol of my lifestyle and the things I hold dear. My hearth and home are in the heart, not made of bricks and mortar. So, what will I still be able to write about here?

We are, for the time being, continuing to rent our allotment. We will see out the season and, if it is too much to continue travelling to, will hopefully get involved in a similar scheme here. Plus, we have large window boxes, so I will have a new challenge: gardening in a space-efficient way.

Luckily for us, although Bath is a city, it is a small a green one. The river is two minutes walk from where we are now living and there are woods, fields and the canal nearby. Plenty of opportunity for hedgerow ramblings. 

I will still be cooking up some kitchen magick - making our meals from scratch and trying to do so frugally and seasonally. I hope to still gather and dry my own herbs and I will certainly be using them as I have always done and continuing to write about these practises. 

The wheel still turns. 

So, I'm not really sure why 'Hearthwitch Cottage' can't continue to be the space it has always been: somewhere to pull up a chair, sip a cup of warm tea and read stories of a pagan life in a modern world. 

I hope you continue to join me here - I will endeavour to get back into a routine of writing as soon as I can, with my regular features. But what would you like to see here, dear readers, as we begin this new chapter? Are there any topics you would like me to write about, or any questions you have been wanting to ask? Now is the time to share your thoughts. Write a comment to this post and I will do my best to respond in the coming weeks.

Brightest blessings to you all - I have missed you.

Hearthwitch. 

3 musings:

Robin Larkspur said...

Best wishes for wonderful adventures, both large and small in your new home. Your new environment sounds warm, friendly and still nature-accessible. Will enjoy reading whatever you care to share. Window box gardening is very rewarding. Have fun, and may you be inspired by city living for your pagan practices. Bright blessings, Robin.

Beth said...

Thanks for the new posts. What an exciting time for you. I'm sure you'll feel like nesting in your new home, especially with Autumn just around the corner. I enjoy the recipes you share and look forward to how the rich history of Bath will inspire you.

Anonymous said...

I really don't think where you live is as important as how you live - surely you're right, hearthwitch is a metaphor. And anyway, Bath is one of the most beautiful and inspiring places imaginable. So, delighted to have you back, best wishes in your new home and looking forward to your future posts.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I truly love to hear your contributions.

Related Posts with Thumbnailslinkwithin_text='From the same cauldron...'